Sunday, May 02, 2010
Share on facebook

Seargeant's brace clinches the double

THE New Saints made it a double by adding the Loosemores League Cup to the Welsh Premier title on Tuesday night.

The Saints retained the trophy they won a year ago by beating Rhyl 3-1 at The Airfield, thanks to a brace from Chris Seargeant and a goal from Jamie Wood.
Taking charge of his first game as manager, Mike Davies gave a chance to all his fringe players and they responded magnificently by forging a two-nil interval lead.
The first goal arrived just past the half hour, when John McKenna laid the ball off for Seargeant and, although keeper Paul Pritchard got his hands to the ball, it trickled over the line.
A Ryan Marriott right-wing cross was then deflected to Wood, who made no mistake at the far post with a shot into the far corner.
The Saints should have killed-off the game early in the second half, but Craig Williams fired a penalty high over the bar after he had been brought down in the box by Mark Connolly.
Encouraged by the miss, the Lilywhites then enjoyed their best spell of the game and were rewarded when Chris Williams got to the byline before crossing for an unmarked Rob Turner to head home from close range.
But the Saints weathered the storm and Seargeant ensured there was no way back for Greg Strong's side 13 minutes from time, bursting past defenders before beating Pritchard again.
Photo: Jamie Wood beats Paul Pritchard for the second goal.

Stadium details

Burma Road
Oswestry SY11 4AS
Tel: 01691 684840
By road
Leave the A5 at the junction with the A495 Whittington Road. Burma Road is the first major turning on the left and is signposted Park Hall. The ground is another 400 yards on your right.
Enter postcode SY11 4AS
By rail
Nearest station is Gobowen (2 miles).
By bus
Service from Oswestry.

Ask the club

Use this form to ask the club a question, we will endeavour to answer your question quickly either through the website or the match-day programme. Thank you for supporting The New Saints FC.