Monday, April 23, 2012

Scintillating Saints are just champion!

THE New Saints sparkled in the title showdown at Park Hall, beating previous champions Bangor City 5-0 to reclaim the Welsh Premier crown.

Twelve months on from final day disappointment and defeat at Bangor, Craig Harrison's men ensured there would be no repeat with a five-star display in a one-sided game.
The previous champions were outplayed from start to finish and the game was virtually over as a contest after seven minutes thanks to goals from Greg Draper and Chris Seargeant.
After Ryan Fraughan had been denied a penalty in the opening moments, Aeron Edwards found Draper who coolly steered his shot past keeper Lee Idzi and into the far corner.
Three minutes later, the vocal contingent of visiting supporters was stunned into silence when former Citizen Seargeant despatched a free kick beyond Idzi's grasp after Peter Hoy had fouled Fraughan.
More chances went begging with Idzi saving from Craig Jones and Aeron Edwards dragging a shot wide of the target.
But the Saints extended their lead midway through the first half, Jones heading a ball over the top for Draper to kick over Idzi before heading into the empty net.
Simon Spender went close with an effort across the face of goal and Idzi scrambled away another Seargeant set-piece.
City's only real chance before the break came when a Mark Smyth corner was headed back across goal by Hoy, but Kyle Wilson volleyed over the bar.
Jamie Brewerton headed over from a Sion Edwards delivery early in the second half but it was mostly TNS on the attack, with Idzi making a diving save after Phil Baker had found Jones with a trademark long ball.
A superb individual effort from Fraughan added to City's woes just past the hour before Alex Darlington hammered a penalty against the crossbar when Jamie Brewerton had brought him down in the box.
But the City skipper conceded another spot kick, this time for a foul on Fraughan, and Draper made no mistake to claim a hat-trick of goals.
Photo: Skipper Paul Harrison gets his hands on the new Welsh Premier trophy.