Friday, November 19, 2010
Share on facebook

Matty sparkles in Bonfire Night cup win

MATTY Williams sparked The New Saints to a 3-2 Bonfire Night away win at Airbus UK Broughton and a place in the last 16 of the Welsh Cup.

The Saints had struggled to establish themselves in the game during an opening half hour in which they fell behind in the 20th-minute, when Carl Owen took advantage of a defensive slip to fire into the far corner.
But Williams lit the blue touchpaper, first firing a shot just wide of the target before dispossessing Wrexham loanee defender Leon Clowes on the edge of the box to set-up Alex Darlington for the equaliser.
Just before half-time, Williams was again instrumental in the second goal, which was claimed by Craig Jones, and then added the third himself five minutes after the break when the Wingmakers failed to deal with a Richie Partridge cross.


Airbus UK
The New Saints
Owen 20'
37' Darlington
Moran(p) 90'
44' Jones
50' M Williams
Ref M Petch
Att 278
In a performance which resembled a fireworks selection box - some sparkling moments and a few damp squibs - the Saints put themselves under unnecessary pressure during the second-half, relieved by breakaways in one of which Williams just failed to add a fourth with a header from a Partridge cross.
Chris Seargeant rattled the home crossbar with a 20-yard free-kick after a cynical foul on Williams and sub Craig Williams was hauled down in the box by keeper Callum Hawthorne only to be denied by a dubious offside decision.
But, in a repeat of the league clash earlier in the season, Airbus were awarded a late penalty, converted by Andy Moran, after Barry Hogan was adjudged to have fouled Mark Allen.
Only a few seconds of stoppage time remained, but referee Mark Petch prolonged the agony and the Saints desperately defended a corner before the whistle blew to signal their place in the fourth round.
Photo: Richie Partridge moves in to celebrate with goal scorer Alex Darlington.

More TNS Headlines

  • 1
  • 2