Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Share on facebook

Late goals leave Saints with uphill task

TWO late Midtjylland goals left The New Saints with an uphill task in their Europa League second qualifying round tie.
The Saints looked to be on course for a creditable 1-1 draw until nine minutes from time, when Simon Spender was adjuged to have fouled Jesper Juelsgaird on the edge of the box, and Danny Olsen put away the penalty.
And ins toppage time, TNS suffered a cruel blow when Mads Albaek burst into the box before netting at the near post with the last kick of the game for a 3-1 win.
There was little to choose between the sides in the first half, with Craig Jones almost giving TNS the lead when his header from a Chris Marriott corner grazed the top of the bar.
Greg Draper fired a shot straight at keeper Jenson, while the Black Wolves from Herning were mainly restricted to set-piece efforts, none of which troubled home keeper Paul Harrison.
Jakob Poulsen came closest for the visitors just before half-time with a free-kick that grazed the side netting, but Midjtylland upped a gear in the second half.
Rilwan Hassan missed a great chance when he put the ball wide from close range and Olsen also could have done better after getting in behind Baker but his tame shot went straight to Harrison.
Hassan fired wide from an Olsen layoff before the Saints took the lead against the run of play on the hour mark. Steve Evans was again the hero, rising highest to head home from Marriott's corner.
The lead lasted only five minutes before some neat interplay inside the box ended with Hassan toe-poking the ball into the net from close range.
Sub Jude Nworuh fired over from a good position for the Danes, before Poulsen hit a post and the ball was scrambled to safety by the home defence.
But the penalty award turned the game in the visitors' favour and the Saints have an uphill battle in the second leg next week.
Photo: Steve Evans powers his header into the net for the Saints' only goal

More TNS Headlines

  • 1
  • 2