Wednesday, September 02, 2009
Share on facebook

Totally frustrated Saints

Saturday 21 Feb 2021 / Park Hall
The story of the Saints' afternoon - Lee Idzi saves from the head of Matthew Berkeley.
THE New Saints endured another totally frustrating afternoon as they were held to their second goal-less draw in succession at Park Hall.
Unlike the equally contested game against title contenders Llanelli two weeks ago, this was a one-sided affair, with Haverfordwest County's goal leading a charmed life on several occasions.
The visitors raised only two attacks worthy of note all afternoon, both involving industrious midfielder Neil Thomas.
His 20-yarder stinger in the first-half forced TNS goalkeeper Paul Harrison to palm the ball away from a corner, but Thomas could probably have done better with his second chance with only Harrison to beat, after an attempted clearance had been deflected into his path by a colleague.
Otherwise, it was mainly one way traffic towards the Bluebirds' goal with John Toner firing wide of the mark inside the opening minute.
With the visiting defence giving a good impersonation of the Alamo, Idzi pulled-off a string of fine saves whenever his defenders were beaten, the first in a one-on-one with Berkeley from a Williams through ball.
His diving save kept out a 20-yard strike from Steve Evans, while Berkeley was narrowly wide with a header from Jamie Wood's cross.
The ineffective Conall Murtagh was replaced at the interval by Scott Ruscoe, whose presence injected some more craft into the Saints' attack.
His first cross just eluded Evans, who was then narrowly wide with a header.
Leah summed-up the Saints' growing impatience with a 20-yarder that flew well over the bar while Holmes directed his header straight at Idzi from another corner.
Idzi produced a fine punched save to deny Williams, Hogan fired wide from 20 yards and Ruscoe also missed the target from Toner's lay-off.
The Bluebirds' keeper again did well to stop a rasping drive from Leah and, when he could only parry Barry Hogan's shot, Berkeley fired the rebound wide.
The breakthrough looked certain to arrive five minutes from time when Idzi found himself stranded well outside the box after a mix-up with a defender, but Wood's first touch let him down and, after his effort on a gaping goalmouth had been blocked, Evans hammered wide with the follow-up.
Three draws from their last four games leaves TNS title hopes in tatters and they are now anxiously looking over their shoulders at fourth-placed Carmarthen in the race for a Europa League spot.

More TNS Headlines

  • 1
  • 2