Apycom Java Applets
  Jamie Wood leaves Gareth Wilson in his wake
[Phil Blagg/County Times]
Welsh Cup Final
Rhyl FC 1-0 Total Network Solutions

Sunday 9 May 2004: Latham Park, Newtown

TNS ended the season empty-handed after defeat in the Welsh Cup final against Rhyl.
After 90 minutes of deadlock, a goal in the 44th second of extra-time was enough to lift the famous trophy for Rhyl and complete a remarkable treble.
Chris McGinn beat defenders on the left before crossing for Marc Limbert to shoot from inside the six yard box and a deflection off Chris Taylor beat Richard Acton just inside the post.
Within two minutes, Saints had two glorious chances to equalise. A move involving Ruscoe, Hogan and Wilde ended with a Simon Davies shot being fumbled by Rhyl keeper Paul Smith and John Toner missed an open goal.
Mike Wilde then worked an opening for Justin Perry, but he sent his free header against the post with the goal at his mercy and it rebounded into Smith's arms.
Rhyl had just about shaded normal time on a pudding of a Latham Park pitch that had both sets of players finding difficulty keeping their feet.
After Chris Taylor had gone close with a header which went just over the angle, TNS suffered a major blow early when Martyn Naylor was forced off with an injured knee, to be replaced by David Bridgwater.
The loss opened up gaps down the right hand side and, after 33 minutes, Marc Limbert found himself with acres of space and crossed for Gary Powell to send his shot against an upright.
Around the hour mark, the Lillies hit the woodwork again, Steve Evans heading a Stuart Graves corner against the crossbar under pressure from Mark Powell.
Richard Acton made a good one-handed save from Andy Moran's curling shot and after Chris McGinn back-heeled the rebound, Graves sent his shot over the bar.
Mike Wilde had spurned a great chance for Saints on 52 minutes when he fired his shot against Smith when one-on-one, but Saints could have finished Rhyl off in the final minutes of the second half.
John Toner beat the Rhyl back-line with a superb through ball, but Jamie Wood's 12-yard shot was well saved by Paul Smith.
In extra-time, Rhyl nearly went further ahead when substitute Michael Jackson beat Taylor only for his shot to cannon off a post.
And with the seconds ticking away, Smith was Rhyl's hero again, as he brought off a superb one-handed save to palm away Taylor's header from a Ruscoe corner.
9 May 2021
WP News archive