TNS news archive
Welsh Premier news

For full news of the Welsh Premier League visit


News story
Colchester v TNS Ladies
Colchester's Amy Warnes is shadowed by two TNS players [Gary Walker]
Colchester United Ladies 2-1 TNS Ladies
FA Women's Cup 1st Round Proper
Sun 24 Oct 2004: Away - Wivenhoe Town FC

TNS Ladies were knocked out of the FA Women's Cup and lost their season-long unbeated record in a 2-1 reverse against Colchester United Ladies.
Colchester had the upper hand in the early stages but TNS defended well and were hard to break down. Colchester looked in good form when their short passing game was working, but with TNS closing players down quickly, they forced Colchester to bypass the midfield at times and break up their attacks.
TNS turned on the charm and had the U's chasing the game for sustained periods in the first half, keeping a good deal of the possession with some excellent short passing and movement.
It was against the run of play that Colchester made their own luck and opened the scoring in the 23rd minute when a good ball from Vicky Beales was knocked back by Kate Longhurst into the path of Nicky Bryan whose shot gave the keeper no chance.
TNS were a busy and effective side but Emma Wake and Debbie Aylward were continuously breaking down any moves through the middle and Hannah Porter again looked very comfortable at left back alongside the impressive Krista Hultquist and Jane Swift, with Vicky Beales taking control of the right side of defence.
Colchester looked in control of the game and were given an unwelcome shock in the final minute of the first half when TNS broke forward through the midfield and Sarah Parton sent a shot over Mel Kinsalla's head into the roof of the net.
Colchester came out looking for an early second half goal and were unlucky when after some good work by Kirsty Cammell and Amy Warnes the ball was played to Kate Longhurst who cut inside and rattled the crossbar with a fantastic long range effort that had the keeper beaten. It looked as though whoever scored the next goal would be the likely winners and TNS came back into the game and pushed a number of players forward, only some timely tackles by Krista Hultquist prevented them from scoring a second goal.
Manager Steve Downey made three substitutions and minutes later Colchester were gifted their winning goal, when the TNS keeper rolled the ball out straight to the feet of Amy Warnes, who gratefully slotted the ball back past her into the net. TNS pressed forward but a good interception from Kelly John set up another Colchester attack.
Colchester could now afford to relax a little and Laura Guyon made her presence felt with some good runs down the right wing pressurising the TNS left back. One such attack resulted in a corner, which Jane Swift headed back across the goal and Charlotte Smith was unlucky to see her shot go over the bar.
With five minutes left on the clock, Hannah Porter then went close with a shot that finished just wide of the post.
NS tried in vain to fight back and caused Kinsalla a couple of scares with a goal mouth scramble that was finally cleared and Nicky Bryan sending a low TNS cross flying back over the U's own crossbar, however they could not find a way through for the equaliser. The final whistle blew, and Colchester finished as winners.
Not the prettiest of football played throughout the game, but every player gave 100 percent effort and both teams should be praised for producing a good, hard fought match.
24 October 2021