SAINTS-ALIVE! Forum Index SAINTS-ALIVE!
The Total Network Solutions F C Forum

SAINTS-ALIVE! HOME PAGE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Final Say on the Merger?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SAINTS-ALIVE! Forum Index -> OSWESTRY - TNS MERGER
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Final Say on the Merger? Reply with quote

There was an excellent letter in the sports page of the Shropshire Star the
other night which I think said it all about this topic. So thankyou Rorger
Parker of Trefonen.
Daffo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be more on the story in this week's Advertizer, apparently. I speak to someone there and he said that there it isn't quite as cut and dried as it seems.
There are a lot of people from Oswestry who are upset or maybe worried that the Oswestry name will become obsolete in the 'new club' and that Mike Harris will simply use Oswestry as a means of getting what he wants, i.e. a big fan base in England without sacrificing the Euro football etc that is so attractive to playing in the Welsh League. In hindsight it may well have been the only motive for him, or rather his company, taking over Llansantffraid a few years ago - it's cynical but maybe true.
How far is Mike Harris willing to go to satisfy the traditional Oswestry fans before he worries about losing the 'TNS' advertising he gets on national TV every week through results round-ups. Some say a change to 'TNS Oswestry' would be enough to satisfy them, some say they want 'TNS Oswestry Llansantffraid' - to recognise the fact that Llany has lost WP football too. Seems a bit of a mouthful and is probably more likely to cause problems, although it makes sense that Oswestry be recognised as 50% of the 'new club', post-merger.
Maybe there is a compromise? Any suggestions?
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be Total Network Solutions, no compromise on that one.
But it's the only way Welsh Premier League football will ever return to Oswestry.
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Text of the letter Reply with quote

AS a shareholder of Oswestry Town Football Club, I must say how delighted I am that the final step forward has been taken for the merger with TNS - that will in turn allow the proposed new stadium to be built in Oswestry.
Yes, of course I am sorry that the historic name of Oswestry Town will be lost, certainly in the immediate future.
But what an opportunity this gives the area, with a flagship football stadium and a brand new leisure centre.
I know there is already a huge youth development programme embracing a great many boys - and girls - that TNS have put in place, and that the club is a go-ahead one with a sound financial base.
Compare that with the recent struggles of the Oswestry club, and it's obvious that a merger is in the best interests of everyone.
So why one or two stick-in-the-muds with an unwarranted bias against TNS would prefer to see the whole merger and stadium issue fail is completely beyond me.
They should forget any personal agendas.
Instead, everyone should pull together and ensure an exciting future for the players and football-supporting public of Oswestry.
ROGER PARKER, Trefonen, Oswestry
Daffo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having now seen the letter from the Star on the subject, I'd have to say I agree with Mr Parker, fantastic letter and you are right, it does say it all. Hopefully everyone can be as optimistic and realistic about the future and stop throwing so much negativity at it that the real plus points of the merger are lost in a cloud of bitterness and xenophobia; too many people are stuck in their ways and don't want to see any change as they are comfortable and happy living in the past, it's a breath of fresh air to see Mr Parker standing up and setting the standard by facing up to the merger and embracing all the good points it has to offer.
Perhaps more Oswestry Town traditionalists will realise now that this IS in fact their club too and can swallow their pride and admit this is an enormous opportunity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SAINTS-ALIVE! Forum Index -> OSWESTRY - TNS MERGER All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: