Last visit was: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:41 am
Logout

TNS v Anderlecht Match Reviews

Post any news here about the club

Moderator: admin

TNS v Anderlecht Match Reviews

by Glyn » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:55 pm

Just starting a thread for old time's sake, no-one's collating stats any more but I'll be on here some time tomorrow with my views

http://www.saints-alive.co.uk/index.php ... hole-squad

Hear hear - pity we can't play all 23??

Remember, I'm so old I've seen England win the World Cup....

Glyn

Re: TNS v Anderlecht Match Reviews

by deano » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:26 pm

Tremendous. A little overawed 1st 20 minutes or so. Dubious 2nd goal, sure it went through the side netting. Officials were awful. A number of our players emerged with great credit. The fairytale continues. Well done lads.
deano

by bystander » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:23 pm

To put the performance in perspective Anderlecht's starting eleven boasted 7 full international players and 2 with U20 caps. Their bench had 3 full internationals and 2 U21 players.

Apart from seeming a bit overawed by the occasion in the first 20 minutes TNS held their own in the rest of the first half. They were the better team in the second half until the third (soft) goal, and then again after that.

The first Anderlecht goal had a strong suspicion of handball by the number 9, second goal was poor defending on the TNS left, especially by Berkeley.

Jones, Hogan and Evans were outstanding, the rest excellent, but Sharp, Berkeley and Williams (first half) were, for me, disappointing.
bystander

by SwadnewSaint » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:08 am

Another memorable night in Europe. The saints played well again after being seemingly overawed in the first twenty minutes by a team that seemed to tower over the hosts. Some good performances by a number of players who had the guts to run at Anderlecht and let them worry. Should be interesting in Belguim then see who we play next. Oh and why no match pin badge.. again. Please do a retrospective one to commemerate the lads euro endevours.
SwadnewSaint

by admin » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:34 am

SwadnewSaint wrote:Oh and why no match pin badge.. again. Please do a retrospective one to commemerate the lads euro endevours.

Because there are a million and one other things to be organised for a game like this by a very small group of people.
Some of us have done nothing else for the past few weeks but work on the arrangements.
Perhaps someone would like to volunteer to organise the memorabilia.

admin
Site Admin

by Glyn » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:08 am

http://www.welsh-premier.com/index.php/ ... lecht-loss

Yes indeed. No disgrace. I heard, for example, that the left-back against whom Jonah was pitting his wits has 19? Belgian caps

H 8 safe and sound, little or no chance with any of the goals - though I'll need to see a replay to see how the 2nd one went in (the Radio Shropshire commentator [see more on their coverage below] reckoned it had hit the side-netting - goal-line technology, anyone??

Danny, Pip, Evo 7 apiece - generally sound, Danny got forward well; but somehow gaps appeared, no better exemplified than by their 3rd goal; and too many passes between back four and midfield went astray

Mazza 6 was doing fine until injured - a crunching tackle by both players, thought he'd shaken it off when he carried on but I see now he's out for 6 weeks so maybe that wasn't wise

Tosh 8 superb performance - just one late pass that went straight into touch, otherwise faultless defending and going forward

Baz and Scottie 6 apiece - hard work in there (and see above re a few hospital passes) but they stuck at it. One ridiculous free-kick decision against Baz for a superb 40/60 tackle which he won

Matty W 5 played in a withdrawn role which didn't really suit him

Jonah 7 troubled that left-back, took his goal superbly

Sharpy 6 ploughed a lone furrow but kept trying - shades of Wildey at Anfield

Berkeley 2. We have at least 4 players in the squad who could contribute so much more, either bolstering the midfield or wide left

Sarge and Darlo too late for ratings, Sarge immediately
showed he's one of the 4 I refer to above.

Now then: aren't the media wonderful?

a) I gather that Sky Sports reported that "2486 packed into the Treflan Recreation ground....."

b) Tuned into Radio Shropshire driving home to get the post-match analysis. Ex-Shrew (and their STFC "expert summariser" for this season) Steve Cross said

"I hope the money they've made from this European adventure can be ploughed back into the club and they can progress into the leagues....."

Great idea Steve. As we're in the Champions League Qualifiers precisely because we are Champions of Wales, which leagues did you have in mind? The Belgian? The Dutch? La Liga perhaps??

Isn't it just great when you know the BBC are spending your money on "experts" who haven't got the faintest idea what they're talking about.

Mind you, he did come into his own when asked about Graham Turner, back at STFC where he previously managed Cross;

"What's he like as a man?"

"Fair..... but he doesn't suffer fools gladly and likes to throw teacups about"

Incisive, concise and informative. All you could possibly need to know about Graham Turner.....

Glyn

by G A Wilson » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:48 pm

Considering the level of the opposition, I would say that is quite possibly the best performance I have ever seen from TNS. The lads did the WPL proud and fully deserved the ovation at the end. Well done.

Tactically next week, I would pack the midfield, try and shut their blond midfield maestro down but what do I know!
G A Wilson

by Glyn » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:41 pm

Glyn

by Luc Nilis » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:43 pm

Luc Nilis

by Glyn » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:37 am

Thanks Luc

Shame they haven't also included H's great save before the first goal.....

Haven't time to look at all the linked ones to see if there are more extended highlights, the one I have looked at is just still photos....

Glyn

Return to CLUB NEWS