Nosebag

The place for any general information and news about the league and its clubs

Moderator: admin

Nosebag

by Glyn on Sun Jun 03, 2021 4:10 pm

I think I promised to start this thread when there was no footie and it's quiet now...

Your chance to help your fellow fans by recommending food/drink places inside or outside WPL grounds!

My highlights:

Newtown - Jarmans Chippy, excellent

Welshpool - chippy in High St (award-winning, but then aren't they all!) - pretty good, very wide range of goodies

Caersws - village chippy 7/10

Flint - excellent chippy on A548 near ground, shame CQN are back at Deeside Stadium next season!

Aber - Central Chippy v good but do note it's on a 1-way street, don't drive in the wrong way (like I did!)

Airbus - the pub on the Retail Park opposite has a decent menu, Wetherspoons-type food at those prices

Carmarthen - v good chippy on the main street right by the ground

Haverfordwest - had an excellent brekkie at Morrisons, though I wasn't there for football!

Port - had to agree with Andrew that Allports' chippy's product was too greasy, though their Pwllheli outlet was excellent!

I reckon that the best food on offer in Llansantffraid is inside the ground, though of course the Green Inn at Llangedwyn is wonderful!

Any other suggestions?

Proud to be the joint home kit sponsor of Tommy Holmes and Gary Brabin
(should it be half-price as he only ever plays 45 minutes?)

Glyn

by swansea_saint on Sun Jun 03, 2021 11:55 pm

Newtown - Macdonalds round corner from ground. They do a mean McChicken Premier.
Welshpool - there's a kebab place as you head from ground to town centre. Me, I can't eat a whole one and I end up burping kebab flavoured burps the rest of the day. Also, I don't recommend getting chilli sauce, if you think it burnt on the way in...
Failing that, Morrisons is usually quite nice. Wouldn't recommend the "chicken" curry. Unless you like the idea of eating blue tac encrusted pebbles. American Chicken burger bap is a personal favourite.
Porthmadog - Gotta be Allports, go for the Scampi and chips. Lovely, thanks to Steve Barnfield for that recommendation.
Aber - there was a Burger King when we where there the other season, but that seemed to be derelict last time with a slapdash hand written sign saying "KFC coming soon". Still! There was a half decend Subway a bit of a walk up the main street (about a hundred yards past the Anti-Trident protesters. Am not sure how often they're there but I couldn't see any apparent reason for them being there last time so can only assume they were bored and regularly spend their saturdays in this way). Can't go wrong with a footlong italian meatball, but that's another story.
Bangor - Weatherspoons do a nice "Fried" Chicken Wrap. Yummy. And, yes, they do speak English. Probably cos it's staffed by immigrant students
Caernarfon - MacDonalds not far from ground. Tea shed is nice. Do Wham bars. If you can't speak Welsh fluently, don't try and be a smart arse and ask for these in Welsh not matter how simple "pump Wham bars os gwelch chi'n dda" seems to you. They're very friendly in that part of the world and will try and chat with you and occasionally laughing at "appropriate" periods will only get you so far. The same point should be made for ordering hot chocolate at Porthmadog as it generally tastes like cr@p when you do this. A word of warning for tea shed code of conduct: if your tea scores while you are there, the best celebration is Andy Cale vs Wrexham underarm fist pumping. Alex Ferguson style throwing your arms in the air in an excited manner will only end in tears. Unless you're short, in which case carry on.
Llanelli - probably best to take your own sandwiches.
Neath - I've heard the Cricketers in Swansea is good (they also have a MacDonalds)
Newi - Macdonalds a short drive away. Alternatively, you can eat your body weight in gellotine snakes at a reasonable price from the tea shed.
Rhyl - I generally just microwave something and watch it on the telly. So, duck spring rolls in this case (available 3 for £5 at Iceland)
Caersws - tea shed sells chewits
Haverfordwest and Camarthen - who cares
Llangefni - stop off at Macdonalds in Caernarfon on the way
Wrexham - just don't
Cardiff - I don't believe in giving my hard earned money to them. But I was hungry and that hotdog was really nice.
Swansea - everywhere in Swansea is wonderful. Go nuts.
Port Talbot - See entry for Neath
TNS - the bar do nice peanuts, also, if you have 20 minutes to spare you can buy a pack off Peking Duck Pancakes from the garage round the corner. Also available are pringles and cake. Plas yn Dinas in neighbouring Llanfechain does lovely food. If you fancy something a little more exotic there is a Burger King and Little Chef ten minutes down the bypass to Wrexham. Also, Haz says there's a nice Thai restaurant in Oswestry (which is a small town near Burger King)
Ok! I think I'm done
"Pete Townsend used to say that going on stage was like being on heroin. Well, I've never been on heroin but that felt like four paracetamol, which is the most drugs I've ever taken" - Nicky Wire

swansea_saint

by david kn on Mon Jun 04, 2021 6:34 am

No mention of where to get dog food?

Spot will be disappointed.
david kn

by Glyn on Mon Jun 04, 2021 12:50 pm

I forgot Cefn Mawr, the chippy is good but it closes at 1.59pm sharp so be there in good time.

They have a "dish of the day", eg Thursday night is curry night, Weds might be Shepherds pie, etc etc so presumably the whole village has to eat the same thing each night of the week, bit like School Dinners in my day I guess....

Glyn

by Glyn on Wed Jun 06, 2021 4:12 pm

swansea_saint wrote:Porthmadog - Gotta be Allports, go for the Scampi and chips. Lovely, thanks to Steve Barnfield for that recommendation.

Bit of a woman's meal that isn't it?!

The night we play Telford, Hednesford are at Gresley Rovers and I'm assured there's "the best chippy in the world" right next to their ground.

Very tempting....

Glyn

by swansea_saint on Wed Jun 06, 2021 8:43 pm

Glyn wrote:
swansea_saint wrote:Porthmadog - Gotta be Allports, go for the Scampi and chips. Lovely, thanks to Steve Barnfield for that recommendation.

Bit of a woman's meal that isn't it?!

I'm comfortable with who I am

"Wee bit poofy is it no?" Chick Young on Only An Excuse regarding then England manager Glenn Hoddle's tendency to pray
"Pete Townsend used to say that going on stage was like being on heroin. Well, I've never been on heroin but that felt like four paracetamol, which is the most drugs I've ever taken" - Nicky Wire

swansea_saint

by Glyn on Wed Jun 06, 2021 8:46 pm

LOL

Talking of "Only an Excuse", my pal and I laughed as we looked at the inscription beneath the Bobby Moore statue which includes the word "immortal"

To quote from OAE, "Ah, the immortal.... - he's dead now, of course..."

Glyn

by jellybelly on Mon Aug 20, 2021 9:24 pm

ANISWORTH IN Caernarfon £1.55 for a bag of chips
Vote for the candidate who Promises least! then you will be least disappointed.

jellybelly

Return to NEWS