Saints-Alive! The Total Network Solutions Football Club website
Total Network Solutions FC squad and stat attack
Change:  Move to:
May 8th 2005 at 14:00 Stebonheath Park, Llanelli Attendance 1126
The New Saints
1 - 0
Carmarthen Town
Match report WELSH CUP / Final

Double winners! TNS celebrate with the Welsh Cup.
Click for more photos
Lawless brings double joy to Saints

TNS clinched the double with a tense Welsh Cup final victory over Carmarthen Town at Llanelli.
John Lawless produced the only goal of the game in the 75th minute when he latched on to a Martin Naylor long ball and beat keeper Tony Pennock.
It was one of few clear cut chances in a defensively dominated final that was spoiled by a strong wind, a hard pitch and an over-fussy whistling performance from referee Simon Jones.
The Swansea official managed to yellow-card five players in a final that was always played in a good spirit by both sides.
Challenge Cup winners Carmarthen dominated the early exchanges with the wind at their backs, but were unable to produce a cutting edge.
Veteran Gary Lloyd tested Saints with some searching deliveries and Gerard Doherty was forced to be alert from a flurry of corners, but Rhodri Jones produced the only shot on target from 30 yards that did not test the Saints' keeper.
Former Manchester United starlet Jones threatened at the near post from another set-piece but TNS started to find their feet with skipper John Leah's dangerous whipped cross narrowly missed by Jamie Wood and Michael Wilde.
TNS began to dominate after the break and Marc Lloyd-Williams lifted a shot over the bar after leaving Martin Giles stranded, but Wilde went closest to opening the scoring with a diving header from Jamie Wood's right-wing cross.
Lawless returned to form and became increasingly influential as the game wore on, threatening Carmarthen down both flanks, and when he found himself in space just inside the box he took his chance coolly and slotted the ball under Pennock.
Forced to come out of their shell after going behind, Carmarthen threatended from a series of corners, but the closest they came was a shot from sub Nathan Cotterrall. In what could well be his last game for TNS, defender Chris Taylor must have feared deja vu after last season's extra-time own goal, but his deflection was save by Doherty at full stretch.
It would have been harsh on player and team if Carmarthen had levelled and John Leah went up to claim the magnificent old trophy - only the second time the cup has come back to Llansantffraid.
Referee: Simon Jones

John Lawless (75)
Starting line-ups
Gerard Doherty
Martyn Naylor
Steve Evans
Chris Taylor
Tommy Holmes
Scott Ruscoe
John Leah
Marc Lloyd Williams
Michael Wilde
John Lawless
Jamie Wood
Tony Pennock
Luke Hardy
Gary Lloyd
Martin Giles
Richard Carter
Rhodri Jones
Neil Smothers
Richard Kennedy
Nicky Burke
Mark Dodds
Kevin Aherne-Evans
Chris King
Steven Beck
John Toner
Nathan Cotterrall
Omar Abdillahi
Jimmy James
Chris King -> Marc Lloyd Williams (83)
John Toner -> John Lawless (89)
Nathan Cotterrall -> Neil Smothers (78)
Omar Abdillahi -> Richard Kennedy (78)
Jimmy James -> Nicky Burke (89)
Martyn Naylor (17)
Jamie Wood (54)
Tommy Holmes (79)
Luke Hardy (61)
Richard Kennedy (77)
None None
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.2 © 2003 TPL Design
NOTE: For comparison purposes, teams are referred to throughout all seasons by their current names.
Substitute minutes of 99 indicate actual times not known.
The New Saints played as Total Network Solutions from 1997 to end of season 2005/6.
NEWI Cefn Druids played as Flexsys Cefn Druids prior to 2003/4.
Port Talbot Town played as Port Talbot Athletic prior to 2001/2.
Total Network Solutions played as Llansantffraid FC prior to 1997/8.
Match-by-match player stats for season 1993/4 are largely unavailable.