Saints-Alive! The Total Network Solutions Football Club website
Total Network Solutions FC squad and stat attack
Change:  Move to:
Apr 17th 2007 at 19:30 Maesydre Attendance 458
Welshpool Town
1 - 0
The New Saints
Match report WELSH PREMIER

Welshpool keeper McGuigan covers as Michael Wilde hits the post.
Click for more photos
Saints slump to Maesydre defeat

FROM the comfort zone of needing one point from their last four games to clinch the title, The New Saints now need one from their remaining two after going down to a second successive league defeat at Maesydre.
For the second time in four days, the party was ready to start, but Aden Shannon's 60th-minute penalty ensured the celebrations are on hold at least until Saturday.
This was a better performance from TNS than the 1-3 defeat to Caernarfon and they hardly deserved to lose a game in which Welshpool barely raised a shot on target.
Route one was the order of the day on a hard and bumpy surface and it played into Welshpool's hands as the front pair of Michael Wilde and Carl Lamb foundered with referee Lee Evans constantly penalising for fouls.
Chances were few and far between in the first-half, with Scott Ruscoe sending an early shot wide and Lamb's effort deflected for a corner. But Ruscoe came close to breaking the deadlock in the 34th-minute when keeper Gerard McGuigan saw a close range shot hit his knee and rebound to safety.
Welshpool's only effort came from ex-TNS midfielder Richard Harris, who was miles over the bar with a 20-yarder just before the break.
The second-half continued in the same vein, but Pool mounted a period of pressure which led to the goal, as the Saints found it difficult to break out of their own half. John Leah was robbed on the byline and adjudged to have fouled Harris as he tried to recover and Shannon made no mistake, sending Gerard Doherty the wrong way from the spot kick.
Ken McKenna sent on John Toner and then Oscar Gonzalez alongside Lamb and Wilde in a desperate attempt to find an equaliser and Saints finally upped the tempo to pressure the Pool defence.
But Wilde was wide with a header from Toner's cross and then hit the post at close quarters from a Lamb cross. McGuigan just held on to Lamb's 20-yarder before Toner missed a difficult chance from a yard out, skying Wilde's goalbound header over the bar.
Welshpool - and keeper McGuigan in particular - ran down the clock to hold onto the lead and leave the Saints frustratingly still with only one hand on the championship trophy.
Referee: Lee Evans

Aden Shannon, pen (60) None
Starting line-ups
Gerard McGuigan
Geraint Windsor
Wayne Evans
Richard Harris
Brett Jefferies
John Keegan
George Hughes
Dave Cunnah
Aden Shannon
Calvin Davies
Ceri James
Gerard Doherty
Duane Courtney
Chris King
Phil Baker
Greg Stones
Michael Jackson
Scott Ruscoe
John Leah
Michael Wilde
Carl Lamb
Jamie Wood
Steve Rogers
Stuart Vernon
William Thomas
Jonathan Jones
Martyn Naylor
Oscar Gonzalez
John Toner
Steve Rogers -> Aden Shannon (70)
William Thomas -> Calvin Davies (83)
John Toner -> Greg Stones (61)
Oscar Gonzalez -> John Leah (70)
None Scott Ruscoe (65)
Michael Wilde (82)
None None
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.2 © 2003 TPL Design
NOTE: For comparison purposes, teams are referred to throughout all seasons by their current names.
Substitute minutes of 99 indicate actual times not known.
The New Saints played as Total Network Solutions from 1997 to end of season 2005/6.
NEWI Cefn Druids played as Flexsys Cefn Druids prior to 2003/4.
Port Talbot Town played as Port Talbot Athletic prior to 2001/2.
Total Network Solutions played as Llansantffraid FC prior to 1997/8.
Match-by-match player stats for season 1993/4 are largely unavailable.