Saints-Alive! The Total Network Solutions Football Club website
Total Network Solutions FC squad and stat attack
Change:  Move to:
Aug 4th 2007 at 15:00 Moss Lane Attendance 370
1 - 1
The New Saints
Match report FRIENDLY

Michael Wilde celebrates the Saints' goal.
Click for more photos
Alty need a little luck to deny the Saints

IT TOOK a little slice of luck to deny The New Saints a win at Moss Lane as they proved more than a match for Conference opponents Altrincham.
Michael Wilde gave the Saints a seventh-minute lead in a first-half of almost total domination, but Colin Little's speculative hook into the box crept in at the far corner to level six minutes before the break.
It was a happy return to his old stamping ground for former Robins' striker Ken McKenna, who named a strong line-up that quickly took control of affairs. Wilde's header from a right wing corner rattled the home crossbar as early as the third minute, but four minutes later Wilde made no mistake, rifling home from 12 yards after Scott Ruscoe had counter-attacked down the right hand side before crossing into the box.
Jamie Wood again had the ball in the net on 10 minutes, only to be ruled offside, but with Steven Beck having the freedom of Moss Lane in midfield, it was the Saints who posed most of the questions.
Luke Holden lost his composure when in a good position to score and blazed his effort wide after good work by Wood as the hosts found it difficult to find a way through.
Little fired wide after a defensive slip and brought a good save from keeper Paul Harrison, but the Saints looked comfortable at the back until the striker hooked a throw-in across the box for the somewhat fortuitious equaliser.
TNS would not have been flattered to go in three-nil up at half-time, but John Leah almost restored the lead with a fierce 20-yarder just after the interval and Robins' keeper Stuart Coburn was forced to save at the feet of Ruscoe from Wilde's inside pass.
Beck sent a 25-yarder straight at the keeper and Altrincham's only real chance fell to Gareth Whalley, who was high and wide with his shot, although sub Matthew Berkeley also had a shot saved.
As ever in pre-season games, a glut of substitutions started to disrupt the flow of play.
Keeper Gerard Doherty returned for the final minutes, but was never tested, and although Carl Lamb spurned one opening, the game petered out tamely into a 1-1 draw, from which McKenna will take plenty of encouragement, particularly the first-half display.
Referee: Steve Copeland

Colin Little (39) Michael Wilde (7)
Starting line-ups
Stuart Coburn
Chris Lane
Stephen Aspinall
Karl Munroe
Darren Tinson
Robbie Lawton
Stephen Rose
Gareth Whalley
Colin Little
Rod Thornley
Joe O'Neill
Paul Harrison
Duane Courtney
Chris King
Phil Baker
Tommy Holmes
Scott Ruscoe
Steven Beck
John Leah
Michael Wilde
Luke Holden
Jamie Wood
Gary Scott
Richard Acton
Colin Potts
Cavell Coo
Chris Senior
Matthew Berkeley
Gerard Doherty
Martyn Naylor
Tom Brady
Mark Davies
Rob Williams
Barry Hogan
Gary Brabin
Carl Lamb
Colin Potts -> Stephen Rose (25)
Cavell Coo -> Rod Thornley (52)
Chris Senior -> Stephen Aspinall (52)
Richard Acton -> Stuart Coburn (65)
Matthew Berkeley -> Colin Little (65)
Gary Scott -> Karl Munroe (70)
Martyn Naylor -> Phil Baker (46)
Gerard Doherty -> Paul Harrison (65)
Barry Hogan -> Steven Beck (65)
Carl Lamb -> Luke Holden (70)
Rob Williams -> Duane Courtney (81)
Mark Davies -> John Leah (86)
Tom Brady -> Michael Wilde (90)
None None
None None
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.2 © 2003 TPL Design
NOTE: For comparison purposes, teams are referred to throughout all seasons by their current names.
Substitute minutes of 99 indicate actual times not known.
The New Saints played as Total Network Solutions from 1997 to end of season 2005/6.
NEWI Cefn Druids played as Flexsys Cefn Druids prior to 2003/4.
Port Talbot Town played as Port Talbot Athletic prior to 2001/2.
Total Network Solutions played as Llansantffraid FC prior to 1997/8.
Match-by-match player stats for season 1993/4 are largely unavailable.