Saints-Alive! The Total Network Solutions Football Club website
Total Network Solutions FC squad and stat attack
Change:  Move to:
Jan 18th 2000 at 19:30 Racecourse Ground Attendance 627
Wrexham 5 - 0 The New Saints
Match report FAW PREMIER CUP

STRIKER Andy Morrell staked a claim for a place in Wrexham's starting line-up against Cardiff City on Saturday with a four-goal haul as the Robins maintained their 100pc record in this season's FAW Premier Cup.
But opponents TNS Llansantffraid had cause to feel their performance deserved better than the scoreline suggests and, had they taken their chances, the outcome might haave been a lot closer.
With the Robins already through to the knockout stages as group winners and the Saints needing at least a point for a chance of qualifying as one of the best two third-placed teams, neither side was willing to give too much away in the early stages.
But the LoW outfit were competitive, they settled into a rhythm and passed the ball around well, using the wide Racecourse surface to good advantage, although they rarely got behind the Wrexham back four to cause problems for debutant goalkeeper, Kristian Rogers.
It was a very different story at the other end where the Robins, without controlling the game, nevertheless found themselves in goalscoring situations but more often than not missed the target.
Kevin Russell drove a first-time shot over the bar when Dean Spink was first to a Steve Thomas corner after six minutes and Morrell was even more wasteful, driving wide a good chance set up for him by Ian Stevens.
Morrell had an opportunity to make amends on 18 minutes, taking a Russell pass in his stride but full back Lee Coathup did just enough to put him off before Jason Jarrett's free header from another corner cleared the crossbar by some distance.
The visitors hit back through Chris Edge, whose shot went straight at Rogers, before Wrexham finally went ahead in the 28th minute.
A Thomas chip beat Lee Williams but rebounded from the bar and, although the 'keeper parried Morrell's first effort, the Robins striker made no mistake with the second.
That lead was quickly threatened when the home defence failed to clear a free kick but Tim Alexander's first-time reaction went too high and it took another error to provide TNS with their best chance of the game in the 45th minute.
A hurried Rogers clearance hit team-mate Deryn Brace and when the ball fell to Scott Millington, he dragged his shot wide of the unguarded net from 18 yards. It was a costly miss as Wrexham went further ahead two minutes after the break.
Martyn Chalk delivered a low centre and Morrell got a foot to it to seemingly wrong-foot Williams, who watched helplessly as the ball crept in off the upright.
If the Saints were downhearted, it did not show and Millington was unlucky to steer a volley wide from Edge's deep centre, but again they were made to pay when Ian Stevens lobbed Williams at the other end.
His effort came back off the bar and gave Morrell the easiest of finishes to complete his hat-trick.
A fingertip save by Rogers denied Ricky Evans a consolation goal after 62 minutes and the woodwork again played a part when Stevens, looking clearly offside, tapped home Wrexham's fourth four minutes later after Steve Thomas had done the hard work with a jinking run and shot which thumped the upright.
With the result beyond doubt, the home side introduced teenagers George Horan and David Sweet for a taste of senior team action and they were joined by Kevin Hannon, whose debut had come in the corresponding match between the teams in September.
Morrell crowned a night of personal triumph with his fourth goal, and Wrexham's fifth after 73 minutes, turning home Sweet's centre and only a fine save by Williams denied him a nap hand shortly afterwards.
Rogers equalled that with a flying stop to foil substitute Leon Gierke as TNS kept going until the end in search of a goal.
Referee: Kevin Morrie (Montgomery)

Andy Morrell (28)
Andy Morrell (47)
Andy Morrell (58)
Ian Stevens (66)
Andy Morrell (73)
Starting line-ups
S Roberts
Lee Williams
Dewi Parry
Lee Coathup
Arwel Jones
Tim Alexander
Chris Edge
Scott Millington
Ricky Evans
Gary Evans
Phil Johnson
Ken McKenna
Paul Smith
Gareth Wilson
Leon Gierke
Sweet -> Jarrett (61)
Horan -> Spink (66)
Hannon -> Brace (55)
Gareth Wilson -> Chris Edge (66)
Leon Gierke -> Gary Evans (99)
None None
None None
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.2 © 2003 TPL Design
NOTE: For comparison purposes, teams are referred to throughout all seasons by their current names.
Substitute minutes of 99 indicate actual times not known.
The New Saints played as Total Network Solutions from 1997 to end of season 2005/6.
NEWI Cefn Druids played as Flexsys Cefn Druids prior to 2003/4.
Port Talbot Town played as Port Talbot Athletic prior to 2001/2.
Total Network Solutions played as Llansantffraid FC prior to 1997/8.
Match-by-match player stats for season 1993/4 are largely unavailable.