Saints-Alive! The Total Network Solutions Football Club website
Apycom Java Applets
Change:  Move to:
Sep 6th 2003 at 14:30 Latham Park Attendance 410
Newtown AFC
2 - 5
Total Network Solutions
Match report WELSH PREMIER

Celebrations for Jimmy Aggrey's first Welsh Premier goal [Phil Blagg, County Times].
Click for more photos

KEEPING their 100% record alive with three games gone, Saints went for a stroll in the sunshine at Latham Park as they easily defeated Newtown.
In truth, TNS were in a different class from the kick-off. Only brilliant saves from Steve Goodwin prevented Leah and Davies from putting the Robins two down in the first five minutes.
Although Danny Barton should have scored from inside the box after nine minutes, Newtown were mainly on the back foot as Saints created chance after chance, but miraculously they reached the interval without conceding a goal.
Jamie Wood was foiled by Goodwin on 17 minutes, Ward blazed over from a Wilde lay off, Aggrey hit the side netting, Taylor missed a golden opportunity, and Leah fluffed his shot from a Brabin pass.
Two minutes after the break, the flood gates finally opened. Leah's great ball to Bridgwater was crossed from the right and Wilde made no mistake with a close range header.
Wilde fired over on 52 minutes from another Bridgwater cross and just headed past the far post from Ruscoe.
Bridgwater fired over after a good midfield run before the game was effectively ended on 66 minutes.
A corner was met by Brabin, his shot was blocked and Jimmy Aggrey was on hand to fire in the rebound from six yards.
Steven Beck came on to produce a mazy run which was cleared for a corner before the third goal arrived.
Justin Perry seized on a defensive mistake to shoot and the rebound found Nicky Ward who netted from a few yards out.
Four minutes later, Ward again found the target from a superb, defence splitting Simon Davies pass which beat the off side trap.
TNS blotted their copybook in the closing minutes with some sloppy defending which lead to a dubious penalty, converted by Danny Barton, and a Futcher goal which gave the scoreline an unrealistic look.
In between, Bridgwater found Ruscoe who crossed for Perry to score.
David Bridgwater had an outstanding game down the right hand flank and provided a constant stream of crosses.
Taylor, Aggrey and Brabin were solid as a rock at the back to leave Dean Williams with a quiet afternoon.
Ken McKenna was understandably annoyed with the late defensive lapses in a game where Saints ought to have kept a clean sheet.
Saints continued with their policy of blooding Scholarship Programme youngsters, when David Lewis came on towards the end.
Referee: P R Southall

Danny Barton, pen (85)
Steve Futcher (89)
Michael Wilde (47)
Jimmy Aggrey (66)
Nicky Ward (79)
Nicky Ward (83)
Justin Perry (86)
Starting line-ups
Steve Goodwin
Nick Evans
Martin Giles
Gareth Hughes
Anthony Fenton
Danny Jellicoe
Justin Wickham
Steve Futcher
Danny Barton
Peter Smith
Richard Harris
Dean Williams
Jimmy Aggrey
Chris Taylor
John Leah
Scott Ruscoe
Nicky Ward
Simon Davies
David Bridgwater
Gary Brabin
Michael Wilde
Jamie Wood
Tom Reynolds
Gareth Sudlow
Callum McKenzie
Steven Beck
Sam Jones
Justin Perry
John Toner
David Lewis
McKenzie -> Harris (64)
Reynolds -> Wickham (79)
Steven Beck -> Jamie Wood (64)
Justin Perry -> Michael Wilde (74)
David Lewis -> Nicky Ward (88)
Hughes (58)
Futcher (60)
Harris (62)
None None
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.2 © 2003 TPL Design
NOTE: For comparison purposes, teams are referred to throughout all seasons by their current names.
Substitute minutes of 99 indicate actual times not known.
NEWI Cefn Druids played as Flexsys Cefn Druids prior to 2003/4.
Port Talbot Town played as Port Talbot Athletic prior to 2001/2.
Total Network Solutions played as Llansantffraid FC prior to 1997/8.
Match-by-match player stats for season 1993/4 are largely unavailable.