Saints-Alive! The Total Network Solutions Football Club website
Match report and stats
Change:  Move to:
Oct 18th 2003 at 14:30 Jenner Park Attendance 221
Barry Town
2 - 3
Total Network Solutions
Match report WELSH PREMIER

Saints' Nicky Ward, who scored twice, challenges for the ball with Barry's Gavin Rees [South Wales Echo].
Click for more photos

TNS went back to the top of the Welsh Premier with a 3-2 win at Barry Town.
This was Saints first-ever win at Jenner Park and maintains their 100% league record with eight games now played.
But, despite all the predictions that this would be a landslide victory for Saints, given both clubs positions at opposite ends of the table, the game was far closer than many had thought.
TNS were not on top of their form. They passed the ball poorly and their game lacked its usual fluency.
They had to battle every inch of the way against a Barry outfit who were well-organised in defence and worked tirelessly throughout.
Saints took the lead after just five minutes. Goalkeeper Dean Williams sent a long clearance upfield and found Nicky Ward, who outpaced Barry's Gareth Elliott before firing home with a fine half-volley from the edge of the box.
Barry levelled on 17 minutes when Mattie Davies picked up a loose ball and fired in a memorable shot from 20 yards.
Two minutes later Saints were back in front, when Gary Brabin's long cross-field pass found Martyn Naylor, who passed into the box for Steven Beck to poke in from six yards after a scramble.
The Dragons levelled again just after the hour mark. Lloyd Sloman sent a long ball down the middle for Alan Hughes to latch on to and blast a great shot past Dean Williams from 20 yards.
Saints' winner came from a Martyn Naylor corner with less than a quarter of an hour to go.
Gary Brabin's header was dropped by Lee Rudall and Nicky Ward smacked the ball home from four yards out.
In an exciting game, Dave Bridgwater came on as sub and hit the post and the bar in the closing minutes.
Barry's Chris Bale almost salvaged a point in the dying moments but saw his effort hit a post.
Ken McKenna was delighted with the three points but critical of Saints' poor defending.
"It's a good sign when we play badly and win. That is much better than playing well and losing," he said.
Referee: M S Whitby

Mattie Davies (17)
Alan Hughes (62)
Nicky Ward (5)
Steven Beck (19)
Nicky Ward (75)
Starting line-ups
Lee Rudall
Morgan Harris
Ben Jones
Gareth Elliott
Adam Shakespeare
Gavin Rees
Dave Sherman
Lloyd Sloman
Mattie Davies
Chris Bale
Alun Hughes
Dean Williams
Martyn Naylor
Chris King
Jimmy Aggrey
Chris Taylor
Steven Beck
Simon Davies
Gary Brabin
John Leah
Nicky Ward
Michael Wilde
Junior Borg
Greg Williams
Stephen Minett
Carwyn Jones
Edward Mason
Tommy Holmes
David Bridgwater
John Toner
David Lewis
Stephen Minett -> Ben Jones (45)
Junior Borg -> Lloyd Sloman (86)
John Toner -> Michael Wilde (63)
David Bridgwater -> Steven Beck (65)
Tommy Holmes -> Simon Davies (84)
Adam Shakespeare (16)
Gareth Elliott (24)
Chris Bale (36)
Ben Jones (45)
Dave Sherman (83)
Jimmy Aggrey (61)
None None
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.2 © 2003 TPL Design
NOTE: For comparison purposes, teams are referred to throughout all seasons by their current names.
Substitute minutes of 99 indicate actual times not known.
NEWI Cefn Druids played as Flexsys Cefn Druids prior to 2003/4.
Port Talbot Town played as Port Talbot Athletic prior to 2001/2.
Total Network Solutions played as Llansantffraid FC prior to 1997/8.
Match-by-match player stats for season 1993/4 are largely unavailable.