Saints-Alive! The Total Network Solutions Football Club website
Match report and stats
Change:  Move to:
Jan 17th 2004 at 14:30 Treflan Attendance 268
Total Network Solutions
2 - 1
Newtown AFC
Match report WELSH PREMIER

Mike Wilde goes close with a second half header under pressure from Newtown's Adrian Moody.
Click for more photos

SAINTS took the points without ever gaining control against a well-organised and resurgent Newtown side.
Indeed, there was little to separate the sides who started the game as the two in-form teams in the league, both with 16 points from their last six.
Despite carving a two-goal lead by the 50th minute, through strikes from leading scorers Jamie Wood and Michael Wilde, TNS were pegged back by a spectacular if fortunate goal from Gareth Hughes to set-up an exciting finish to an entertaining game.
Hughes produced a 35-yarder which took a deflection off the right hand post on its way into the net past a helpless Dean Williams.
In a first-half where Saints had occasional spells of dominance, Mike Wilde almost opened their account in the first 30 seconds when he missed a chance from Nicky Ward's left wing pass.
Ward himself shot wide in the ninth minute and Wilde saw a shot saved by Edwards in the Robins' goal mid-way through the spell.
Newtown could well have gone ahead four minutes before the break when leading scorer Peter Smith headed Wickham's right wing cross into the side netting.
But just as the visitors seemed to have kept their goal intact, Saints struck in first-half injury time.
Martyn Naylor's corner was headed against the underside of the cross-bar by central defender Steve Evans and Wood was on hand to finish the job.
Wilde led the early charge after the break and, after seeing one header saved by Edwards, he produced a better-placed 12-yard effort from Steven Beck's precision cross to beat the keeper's despairing dive.
After Newtown's reply, Ken McKenna introduced new signing Barry Hogan, who immediately injected life into the midfield with some creative passing.
The former Runcorn youngster also found himself in two good scoring positions, one of which produced strong appeals for a penalty and the other a shot straight at the keeper.
Newtown also had a penalty appeal turned down before Wood unluckily hit the far post with a shot from John Toner's pass, only to see the ball rebound straight into Edwards' gloves.
Not a vintage perfomance from TNS, but a fourth straight Welsh Premier win and another valuable three points.
Referee: K J Parry

Jamie Wood (45)
Michael Wilde (50)
Gareth Hughes (65)
Starting line-ups
Dean Williams
Martyn Naylor
Chris King
Steve Evans
Chris Taylor
Scott Ruscoe
Steven Beck
Gary Brabin
Nicky Ward
Michael Wilde
Jamie Wood
Paul Edwards
Nick Evans
Martin Giles
Gareth Hughes
Anthony Fenton
Adrian Moody
Justin Wickham
Steve Futcher
Danny Barton
Peter Smith
Richard Harris
Tommy Holmes
Neil Prescott
Barry Hogan
Dan Hamer
John Toner
Tom Reynolds
Andrew Webb
Lee Powell
Barry Hogan -> Scott Ruscoe (67)
John Toner -> Michael Wilde (67)
Tommy Holmes -> Steven Beck (80)
Tom Reynolds -> Richard Harris (73)
John Toner (75)
Adrian Moody (30)
Steve Futcher (69)
None None
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.2 © 2003 TPL Design
NOTE: For comparison purposes, teams are referred to throughout all seasons by their current names.
Substitute minutes of 99 indicate actual times not known.
NEWI Cefn Druids played as Flexsys Cefn Druids prior to 2003/4.
Port Talbot Town played as Port Talbot Athletic prior to 2001/2.
Total Network Solutions played as Llansantffraid FC prior to 1997/8.
Match-by-match player stats for season 1993/4 are largely unavailable.