Saints-Alive! The Total Network Solutions Football Club website
Total Network Solutions FC squad and stat attack
Change:  Move to:
Feb 28th 2004 at 14:30 Treflan Attendance 296
The New Saints
3 - 0
Barry Town
Match report WELSH PREMIER

Jamie Wood beats Rudall to lay on the first goal for Scott Ruscoe (right).
Click for more photos

SAINTS eventually ran out comfortable winners against bottom club and old rivals Barry Town.
But they were made to work hard for the points after being reduced to 10 men after only 21 minutes.
Barry's Jamie Michael, one of three mid-week signings from Newport County, was put through by Mattie Davies.
Ged Doherty was caught well off his line and, one-on-one with the advancing Michael, was forced to save his shot outside the box, resulting in a red card from referee Gerald Davies.
Ken McKenna chose to bring on Scholarship central defender Neil Prescott to take over the gloves and the youngster, who turned 17 only this week, rose to the occasion magnificently.
He produced a fine save to prevent Michael again from scoring just before the break and in the second half showed alertness to scamper across his line and save from a quickly taken Sherbon free kick.
TNS could have taken a very early lead when Simon Davies played a sublime through ball to Michael Wilde, who blasted wide with only Lee Rudall to beat.
But on 18 minutes, Saints were ahead after a comedy of errors. Attempted clearances by Adam Shakespeare and Gareth Elliott were both blocked by Mike Wilde and gave Jamie Wood a shooting opportunity which hit the keeper on its way to goal before Scott Ruscoe followed it in.
An hour of stalemate saw Saints readily hold their own at the back and restrict the Dragons to speculative long range shots, notably from Mark Duckett.
But it again took the aerial power of Steve Evans to bring the breakthrough for Saints.
Martyn Naylor took a throw on the right from which Scott Ruscoe crossed high for Evans to head his fourth league goal of the season past Rudall unopposed at the far post.
Three minutes later, substitute Steven Beck beat a defender on the left, before crossing perfectly for Jamie Wood to drive home a third from close range.
The introduction of the pacey John Toner had added penetration to the front line and he laid on a chance for Wood, who could have scored a fourth, but fired just wide from the edge of the box.
"Losing Ged was a big blow," said manager Ken McKenna.
"But fair play to Neil Prescott, he is a centre half who can play in goal and we owe him a big debt.
"He showed great temperament when he was called upon and I'm really pleased for him."
Prescott was named man of the match by the sponsors.
Referee: G M Davies

Scott Ruscoe (18)
Steve Evans (79)
Jamie Wood (82)
Starting line-ups
Gerard Doherty
Martyn Naylor
Chris King
Steve Evans
Tommy Holmes
Chris Taylor
Scott Ruscoe
Simon Davies
Barry Hogan
Michael Wilde
Jamie Wood
Lee Rudall
Gareth Picknall
Mark Duckett
Dean Philpott
Adam Shakespeare
Gareth Elliott
Alan Stevenson
Luke Sherbon
Mattie Davies
Jamie Michael
Lee Matthews
Neil Prescott
Steve Lalley
Steven Beck
Justin Perry
John Toner
Lawrence Davies
Alun Hughes
Raith Plant
Neil Prescott -> Barry Hogan (22)
John Toner -> Michael Wilde (60)
Steven Beck -> Simon Davies (72)
Alun Hughes -> Mattie Davies (46)
Raith Plant -> Alan Stevenson (71)
Lawrence Davies -> Gareth Picknall (76)
None None
Gerard Doherty (21)
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.2 © 2003 TPL Design
NOTE: For comparison purposes, teams are referred to throughout all seasons by their current names.
Substitute minutes of 99 indicate actual times not known.
The New Saints played as Total Network Solutions from 1997 to end of season 2005/6.
NEWI Cefn Druids played as Flexsys Cefn Druids prior to 2003/4.
Port Talbot Town played as Port Talbot Athletic prior to 2001/2.
Total Network Solutions played as Llansantffraid FC prior to 1997/8.
Match-by-match player stats for season 1993/4 are largely unavailable.