Saints-Alive! The Total Network Solutions Football Club website
Match report and stats
Change:  Move to:
Sep 16th 2003 at 19:30 Treflan Attendance 122
Total Network Solutions
3 - 3
Connah's Quay Nomads
Match report CHALLENGE CUP / 1st Round, 2nd Leg
Aggregate score TNS 5-3 Connah's Quay

SOMEONE forgot to give Connah's Quay the script on the coach down from Deeside.
Two goals down from the first leg, Nomads were supposed to exit the competition with good grace on the wrong end of a Saints' hammering.
Instead, they had the temerity to bring the tie back to life early in the first half and eventually hold out for a draw, although the 5-3 aggregate scoreline sees TNS safely into the second round.
It was third time lucky for Nomads' first goal after 10 minutes.
A Jon Kenworthy free kick rattled around the box like a pinball, twice hitting the post before the rebound found Robbie Chesters in front of goal and he finished clinically.
Saints struggled to make any impact on the Nomads' back line and it took them nearly half an hour to make a really penetrating move.
Brabin's long cross field ball gave John Toner the chance to put in a telling cross from the left and Jamie Wood took his chance well from six yards out.
Before and after the break, TNS finally put on the style. Perry shot straight at the keeper after Steven Beck battled through the Nomads' defence and then saw a header saved from King's cross.
TNS took the lead on 50 minutes when Taylor replicated his goal against Porthmadog on Saturday, heading home from Bridgwater's cross.
A superb through ball from Davies put Wood clear five minutes later and he angled his shot wide of the keeper to seemingly end Nomads' hopes.
But any thoughts Saints had of piling on the agony were soon dispelled. A period of home team showboating ended with Quay's man of the match, Gareth Owen, picking up a loose ball 35 yards out and lobbing a stranded and surprised Ged Doherty.
Stuart Rain then missed a great chance to equalise three minutes later, after being out through by Griffiths.
Chesters, Rain and Owen still believed they could pull off mission impossible and put Saints' defence on the back foot for the last 20 minutes.
In the closing minutes, Steven Beck hit a post, before Stuart Rain latched on to a through ball from John Roberts at the other end to grab a last ditch and well deserved equaliser.
There was still time for Brabin to head against a post from Ruscoe's corner, but a TNS winner would have been rough justice on the night for the battling Nomads.
Referee: Ray Ellingham

Jamie Wood (38)
Chris Taylor (50)
Jamie Wood (55)
Robbie Chesters (10)
Gareth Owen (64)
Stuart Rain (90)
Starting line-ups
Gerard Doherty
Chris King
Steve Evans
Chris Taylor
Steven Beck
Simon Davies
David Bridgwater
Gary Brabin
Justin Perry
John Toner
Jamie Wood
Andy Hughes
Stephen Hopkins
Mark Higham
Craig Hutchinson
George Horan
Paul Mazarella
Craig Lawton
Robbie Chesters
Stuart Rain
Jon Kenworthy
Gareth Owen
Steve Lalley
Scott Ruscoe
John Leah
Michael Wilde
Steve Morgan
Andy Griffiths
John Roberts
Carl Butler
John Leah -> David Bridgwater (63)
Michael Wilde -> Jamie Wood (70)
Scott Ruscoe -> Justin Perry (78)
Andy Griffiths -> Craig Lawton (58)
John Roberts -> Craig Hutchinson (82)
Carl Butler -> Mark Higham (88)
None None
None None
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.2 © 2003 TPL Design
NOTE: For comparison purposes, teams are referred to throughout all seasons by their current names.
Substitute minutes of 99 indicate actual times not known.
NEWI Cefn Druids played as Flexsys Cefn Druids prior to 2003/4.
Port Talbot Town played as Port Talbot Athletic prior to 2001/2.
Total Network Solutions played as Llansantffraid FC prior to 1997/8.
Match-by-match player stats for season 1993/4 are largely unavailable.