Saints-Alive! The Total Network Solutions Football Club website
Apycom Java Applets
Change:  Move to:
Feb 7th 2004 at 14:30 Deeside Stadium Attendance 156
Connah's Quay Nomads
0 - 1
Total Network Solutions
Match report WELSH CUP / 4th Round

Nomads' keeper Jason Turner punches away a TNS corner.
Click for more photos

TNS stayed on course for a League and Cup double with a hard-fought victory on Deeside.
Mike Wilde could have had a hatful of goals, but his 22nd minute header from a Tommy Holmes' free kick was enough to send Saints into the last eight of the Welsh Cup and a local derby with Welshpool.
In a game dominated by a strong wind and testing underfoot conditions, Saints had the wind at their backs in the first half and it proved a considerable advantage.
Stand-in keeper Jason Turner misjudged Holmes' kick and Wilde planted his header into the corner of the Nomads' net.
Chris King's 25-yarder was saved by Turner after just three minutes and Gary Brabin fired just wide.
But after the goal, the midfielder collapsed with chest pains and was sent to hospital.
Saints' keeper Gerard Doherty was a virtual spectator on his return from a loan spell at Barry, but it was a different tale in the second-half, with the keeper called into action as Quay came more into the game.
It took some solid defending and heroic goalkeeping to keep them at bay, as TNS found it harder to create chances.
Steve Hopkins miscued a chance from 12 yards after good work by Gareth Owen and when Tommy Mutton beat the offside trap he fired into the side netting.
Doherty pulled off a fine save from Mutton with seven minutes remaining, but Saints missed the chance to apply a killer blow in the last minute of normal time.
Substitute Barry Hogan made a great run down the left, but when his cross eluded Turner, Mike Wilde headed against the crossbar with the goal at his mercy.
TNS almost paid the price when, in the fifth inexplicable minute of added time, Doherty was forced into a fine save to turn Jordan Brierley's back-heel round the post.
Midway through the second half, manager Ken McKenna was sent from the dugout by referee Brian Lawlor, after a complaint of foul and abusive language by one of his assistants.
Referee: Brian Lawlor

None Michael Wilde (22)
Starting line-ups
Jason Turner
Stephen Hopkins
Dean Tuft
Nicky Brookman
George Horan
Paul Mazzarella
Andy Griffiths
Tommy Mutton
Stuart Rain
Jon Kenworthy
Gareth Owen
Gerard Doherty
Chris King
Tommy Holmes
Jimmy Aggrey
Steve Evans
Chris Taylor
Scott Ruscoe
David Bridgwater
Gary Brabin
Michael Wilde
John Toner
John Earnshaw
Jordan Brierley
Mark Higham
Barry Hogan
Steven Beck
Simon Davies
John Earnshaw -> Andy Griffiths (74)
Jordan Brierley -> Stephen Hopkins (85)
Simon Davies -> Gary Brabin (28)
Barry Hogan -> Jimmy Aggrey (90)
Jordan Brierley 87' John Toner (67)
None None
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.2 © 2003 TPL Design
NOTE: For comparison purposes, teams are referred to throughout all seasons by their current names.
Substitute minutes of 99 indicate actual times not known.
NEWI Cefn Druids played as Flexsys Cefn Druids prior to 2003/4.
Port Talbot Town played as Port Talbot Athletic prior to 2001/2.
Total Network Solutions played as Llansantffraid FC prior to 1997/8.
Match-by-match player stats for season 1993/4 are largely unavailable.