Saints-Alive! The Total Network Solutions Football Club website
Total Network Solutions FC squad and stat attack
Change:  Move to:
Jan 27th 2004 at 19:00 Treflan Attendance 1056
The New Saints 0 - 2 Wrexham
Match report FAW PREMIER CUP / Quarter-final

Steve Evans rises above the Wrexham defence to get a header on goal.
Click for more photos

SAINTS were left to rue a controversial decision by Swansea referee Mark Whitby which could at least have taken this tie into extra-time.
Trailing 1-0 to a first-half Hector Sam goal, TNS put Wrexham's defence under heavy pressure in the second half.
A corner from the right was headed goalwards by Steve Evans and twice appeared to be over the line first as it was saved by Dragons' keeper Andy Dibble and again, as the ball rebounded, Tommy Holmes' prod appeared to be clutched by Dibble over the line.
The TV replay proved inconclusive, although Wrexham's Carlos Edwards admitted later it was a goal, but the official waved Saints' claims away.
Either side of the incident Dibble made two superb saves, the first to claw away a Michael Wilde header and the second to deny Steve Evans at the foot of the right hand post with the assistance of defender Steve Thomas.
But it was all in vain when, on 78 minutes, sloppy Saints' defending allowed Steve Roberts to unleash a 25-yarder which took a deflection off Scott Ruscoe on its way into the net.
Saints had 53% of the second-half possession and could consider themselves unlucky not to score, but in the first period they were completely dominated by the Dragons, who were equally unfortunate to have only Hector Sam's 15th minute headed goal to show for their efforts.
With Carlos Edwards wreaking havoc down the right hand flank, Wrexham dictated the pace and it was no surprise when Sam dived bravely to get his head to a Paul Edwards cross.
Wrexham were lucky to reach the break with a full side, as the referee didn't even caution Matty Crowell for a terrible tackle on Barry Hogan.
Jamie Wood was forced to plough a lone furrow up-front for TNS with little support from midfield and Dibble was a spectator.
Things changed after Ken McKenna introduced Naylor, Ruscoe and Wilde and, with Steve Evans getting forward to support the front men, Saints suddenly looked dangerous.
In the end, the scoreline slightly flattered the Second Division outfit, although it could have been worse, with Steve Thomas twice hitting the woodwork late on with long range shots.
Tommy Holmes and Nicky Ward were outstanding for Saints, in a thoroughly entertaining game which was watched by the Premier Cup's biggest crowd of the season of 1,056 and a wider TV audience throughout Wales.
Referee: M S Whitby

None Hector Sam (15)
Steve Roberts (78)
Starting line-ups
Dean Williams
Chris King
Steve Evans
Tommy Holmes
Chris Taylor
Simon Davies
David Bridgwater
Barry Hogan
Nicky Ward
John Toner
Jamie Wood
Andy Dibble
Steve Roberts
Dennis Lawrence
Carlos Edwards
Chris Llewellyn
Paul Barrett
Paul Edwards
Craig Morgan
Matty Crowell
Steve Thomas
Hector Sam
Martyn Naylor
James Hesketh
Scott Ruscoe
Steven Beck
Michael Wilde
Paul Whitfield
Brian Carey
Darren Ferguson
Shaun Holmes
Mark Jones
Martyn Naylor -> Chris Taylor (51)
Scott Ruscoe -> Barry Hogan (51)
Michael Wilde -> Jamie Wood (68)
Darren Ferguson -> Paul Barrett (79)
Shaun Holmes -> Paul Edwards (83)
Mark Jones -> Chris Llewellyn (79)
Scott Ruscoe (82)
Steve Evans (89)
Matty Crowell (48)
None None
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.2 © 2003 TPL Design
NOTE: For comparison purposes, teams are referred to throughout all seasons by their current names.
Substitute minutes of 99 indicate actual times not known.
The New Saints played as Total Network Solutions from 1997 to end of season 2005/6.
NEWI Cefn Druids played as Flexsys Cefn Druids prior to 2003/4.
Port Talbot Town played as Port Talbot Athletic prior to 2001/2.
Total Network Solutions played as Llansantffraid FC prior to 1997/8.
Match-by-match player stats for season 1993/4 are largely unavailable.