Saints-Alive! The Total Network Solutions Football Club website
Total Network Solutions FC squad and stat attack
Change:  Move to:
Apr 3rd 2004 at 14:30 Park Avenue, Aberystwyth Attendance 302
Port Talbot Town
0 - 1
The New Saints
Match report WELSH CUP / Semi-final

Grounded Talbot keeper Simon Rayner can only look on in horror as John Toner fires Saints into the final.
Click for more photos

GOALS have been few and far between for John Toner in a season marred by injury, but the marksman came off the bench to score one of the most important goals in Llansantffraid history.
With the game dead-locked and heading for extra-time, Toner's persistence paid off as he dispossessed Robert Cockings 20 yards out and advanced on Simon Rayner.
His first effort cannoned off the Talbot keeper but Toner swooped on the rebound to fire into an empty net.
It was heart-breaking for the south Wales outfit who had battled bravely all afternoon and matched Saints in every department.
They had the better of the first-half action, with Craig Hughes bringing an excellent save from Richard Acton after six minutes and sending a speculative lob high and wide with the keeper off his line.
Saints found it difficult to penetrate the Talbot back line, well-marshalled by Liam Hancock, but Martyn Naylor brought a fine save from Simon Rayner with a stinging 20-yard drive and a later low cross from the left caused havoc in the opposition defence.
Jamie Wood then breached the opposition line to put the ball past Rayner on the stroke of half-time, but the 'goal' was controversially ruled out for an infringement.
Although TNS were more successful in closing Talbot down in the second half, with Steve Evans superb at the back, Hughes managed to go close on two occasions while Saints had little luck going forward.
When the goal came it sparked a furious last six minutes with Toner going close a minute after he had scored.
Talbot's last ditch reply was to force Martyn Naylor to head off the line before Town man of the match, Allan Clarke, rattled the TNS crossbar in the dying seconds, although referee Brian Bevan had already blown for an offence.
Scott Ruscoe worked tirelessly down the left flank for Saints, but Steve Evans stood head and shoulders above his team-mates in a typical determined display.
Referee: Brian Bevan

None John Toner (84)
Starting line-ups
Simon Rayner
Robert Cockings
Allan Clarke
Richard Carter
Liam Hancock
Hayden Fleming
Sean Mainwaring
Russell Wigley
Gavin Beddard
Craig Hughes
Nathan Cotterrall
Richard Acton
Martyn Naylor
Steve Evans
Chris Taylor
Tommy Holmes
Scott Ruscoe
Simon Davies
Steven Beck
David Bridgwater
Michael Wilde
Jamie Wood
Nathan Wigg
Chris Watkins
Michael Waters
Jimmy Aggrey
Justin Perry
John Toner
Michael Waters -> Gavin Beddard (60) John Toner -> Simon Davies (66)
Craig Hughes (38)
Michael Waters (73)
Martyn Naylor (65)
Jamie Wood (71)
None None
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.2 © 2003 TPL Design
NOTE: For comparison purposes, teams are referred to throughout all seasons by their current names.
Substitute minutes of 99 indicate actual times not known.
The New Saints played as Total Network Solutions from 1997 to end of season 2005/6.
NEWI Cefn Druids played as Flexsys Cefn Druids prior to 2003/4.
Port Talbot Town played as Port Talbot Athletic prior to 2001/2.
Total Network Solutions played as Llansantffraid FC prior to 1997/8.
Match-by-match player stats for season 1993/4 are largely unavailable.