Saints-Alive! The Total Network Solutions Football Club website
Total Network Solutions FC squad and stat attack
Change:  Move to:
Jul 20th 2004 at 19:30 Treflan Attendance 110
The New Saints
5 - 0
Hyde United
Match report FRIENDLY

Martin Taylor wins a header under a challenge from Matt McNeil
Click for more photos
Saints tame the Unibond Tigers

SAINTS will be happy with the 5-0 scoreline and a more than useful workout ahead of the Uefa Cup second leg.
But despite taking an early lead through Nicky Ward's far post header, they were made to work hard for the rest of the half and could count themselves lucky to preserve an interval lead.
John Toner's persistence paid off for the opener and when Mike Wilde missed his cross from the right, Ward stole in at the back post to head past James Coates, who was on loan to keeper-less Hyde for the night.
The visiting Tigers were unlucky to have a Keiran Delaney equaliser ruled out for offside five minutes later, after a good move involving Matt McNeil and recent acquisition Carl Barrowclough.
Soon afterwards, Mark Connolly sent a suicidal back pass to Gerard Doherty and the impressive Phil Salt's attempted lob was high and wide.
Salt then conjured a superb 20-yard volley that skimmed the crossbar.
Second half substitutions enabled TNS to take control, as the Unibond Premier outfit wilted in the later stages.
Jamie McGuire added the second after a good run and cross down the right by Martin Naylor, before Wilde ignored a linesman's flag and ran on to score with a good shot across Coates.
Scott Ruscoe's arrival just after the hour sparked several good chances for TNS and the midfielder was on hand when Hyde failed to clear their lines from Naylor's corner, heading across to the far post for Jamie Wood to convert with a header.
The lively Salt provided United's main threat and after shooting just wide earlier in the half he saw a free kick well saved by Doherty.
Ruscoe was just wide with a superb 20-yarder, brought a superb one-handed save from Coates and narrowly missed the target again from a Naylor cross.
Coates saved superbly again from Jamie McGuire's clever shot, but Ruscoe had the final word when his last minute cross was headed against the bar by a Hyde defender and Wilde netted the rebound from close range.
Referee: Rob Duncan (Ellesmere)

Nicky Ward (14)
Jamie McGuire (58)
Michael Wilde (61)
Jamie Wood (72)
Michael Wilde (90)
Starting line-ups
Gerard Doherty
Martyn Naylor
Chris Taylor
Tommy Holmes
Simon Davies
Steven Beck
Nicky Ward
Jamie McGuire
Mark Connelly
Michael Wilde
John Toner
James Coates
Lee Brough
John Gaynor
Wayne Dean
Andy Waine
Steven Clegg
Carl Barrowclough
Phil Salt
Neil Tolson
Keiran Delaney
Matt McNeil
Chris King
Jimmy Aggrey
Scott Ruscoe
Barry Hogan
John Leah
Jamie Wood
Dale Johnson
Neil O'Brien
Nicky Hill
Jimmy Aggrey -> Mark Connelly (52)
Jamie Wood -> John Toner (52)
Barry Hogan -> Simon Davies (52)
Scott Ruscoe -> Steven Beck (62)
John Leah -> Nicky Ward (62)
Chris King -> Tommy Holmes (77)
Dale Johnson -> Carl Barrowclough (50)
Neil O'Brien -> Keiran Delaney (67)
None None
None None
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.2 © 2003 TPL Design
NOTE: For comparison purposes, teams are referred to throughout all seasons by their current names.
Substitute minutes of 99 indicate actual times not known.
The New Saints played as Total Network Solutions from 1997 to end of season 2005/6.
NEWI Cefn Druids played as Flexsys Cefn Druids prior to 2003/4.
Port Talbot Town played as Port Talbot Athletic prior to 2001/2.
Total Network Solutions played as Llansantffraid FC prior to 1997/8.
Match-by-match player stats for season 1993/4 are largely unavailable.