Saints-Alive! The Total Network Solutions Football Club website
Apycom Java Applets
Change:  Move to:
Aug 7th 2004 at 12:00 Treflan Attendance 160
Total Network Solutions
1 - 1
AFC Telford United
Match report FRIENDLY

Steve Evans fires a header just wide of the post.
Click for more photos
Ruscoe shows strikers the way to goal

HONOURS ended even at a sun-baked Treflan as TNS shared the spoils in what was surprisingly the first-ever meeting with their relatively near neighbours from Telford.
Both managers took heart from the game, with their respective sides depleted through injury and illness.
Telford’s Bernard McNally was without five players, but his side battled hard to contain Saints and took the lead two minutes after the break through manager's son Luke.
Tom Griffin's good run down the right provided the opportunity and McNally controlled well before slotting the ball past TNS keeper Ged Doherty for a surprise lead.
Home boss Ken McKenna was also missing five regulars with a flu virus and brought in two of Aberystwyth’s departed Merseysiders, with ex-manager Gary Finley in the heart of defence and John Lawless on the left wing.
Despite bossing possession for much of the game, the TNS strikers could make little impression and it took midfielder Scott Ruscoe to spare their blushes with a superb 25-yard strike into Stuart Brock's top corner with six minutes remaining.
TNS had opened brightly with Wilde and Wood both going close in the first seven minutes. Sean Parrish sent a 20-yarder whistling over Doherty's bar and Telford keeper Brock did well to keep out a fierce drive from Lawless.
In a spell of sustained TNS pressure before the break, Ruscoe's edge of the box shot was saved, the midfielder again saw a shot go close and Wood knocked down for Naylor to fire wide from 20 yards.
After the Bucks had taken the lead, both sides found chances hard to come by for a while, but the introduction of Steve Evans after a jaw injury put Telford under renewed pressure.
The defender saw two headers fly just wide, another hit the foot of a Telford post and a fourth was ruled out for offside as he proved the Saints' most potent attacking threat.
Toner worked a good chance after Ruscoe's goal but fired over, with Ryan McKnight nearly grabbing a winner for Telford after Evans had been caught out in defence.
TNS boss McKenna felt the game had been a good workout. “We had a lot of possession but the end product just wasn’t there today,” he said, confirming that he has moved to beef up his strikeforce by serving seven days’ notice of approach for Aberystwyth’s Lee Spike.
Referee: Neil Carpenter (Oswestry)

Scott Ruscoe (84)
Ryan McKnight (47)
Starting line-ups
Gerard Doherty
Martin Naylor
Chris King
Tommy Holmes
Gary Finley
Chris Taylor
Barry Hogan
Scott Ruscoe
Michael Wilde
Jamie Wood
John Lawless
Stuart Brock
Tom Griffin
Dean Craven
Andreas Kattos
Neil Howarth
Sean Parrish
Aaron Lloyd
Luke McNally
Matt Johnson
Gareth Jennings
Ryan McKnight
Jimmy Aggrey
Steve Evans
Steven Beck
John Toner
Byron Benton
Charlie McKay
Germaine Reynolds
Kevin Welsby
Ben Willetts
Paul Tranter
John Toner -> Jamie Wood (63)
Steve Evans -> Gary Finley (69)
Steven Beck -> Barry Hogan (76)
Jimmy Aggrey -> Martin Naylor (88)
Byron Benton -> Aaron Lloyd (75)
Germaine Reynolds -> Gareth Jennings (75)
None None
None None
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.2 © 2003 TPL Design
NOTE: For comparison purposes, teams are referred to throughout all seasons by their current names.
Substitute minutes of 99 indicate actual times not known.
NEWI Cefn Druids played as Flexsys Cefn Druids prior to 2003/4.
Port Talbot Town played as Port Talbot Athletic prior to 2001/2.
Total Network Solutions played as Llansantffraid FC prior to 1997/8.
Match-by-match player stats for season 1993/4 are largely unavailable.