Saints-Alive! The Total Network Solutions Football Club website
Apycom Java Applets
Change:  Move to:
Aug 14th 2004 at 14:30 Treflan Attendance 173
Total Network Solutions
2 - 1
Afan Lido
Match report WELSH PREMIER

John Lawless holds off a Lido defender.
Click for more photos
Ward's late goal beats battling Lido

SAINTS' lack of fire-power from the established strikers led Ken McKenna to add league record goal-scorer Marc Lloyd-Williams to his ranks.
But Wilde, Wood and substitute Lloyd-Williams all failed to find the target and it was Scott Ruscoe who broke the deadlock against a resolute Afan Lido defensive display.
Lido conceded a free kick in the 73rd minute and Ruscoe stepped up to curl his 25-yard shot past Brian Thomas.
The south Walians were hammered 5-0 on their last visit to Treflan and when Saints' skipper John Leah hit the foot of a post with a first-minute 30-yarder, a repeat looked on the cards.
If this had been a boxing match, the referee would have stopped the contest, but despite being outgunned by TNS for most of the match, the south Walians dug deep against an onslaught of attacks.
Lawless fired over, Wilde missed from Nicky Ward's cross and Ruscoe was just denied by a defender.
As the second half wore on, Lloyd-Williams came into the fray and immediately sent a snap shot over the bar.
Ruscoe's goal might have opened the flood gates, but far from dropping their heads, the visitors rallied and when Karl Reynolds cut in from the left four minutes later his shot seemed to beat goalkeeper Gerard Doherty at the near post via a defender's deflection.
Lively substitute Sacha Walters nearly put Lido in front with 10 minutes remaining.
But from the clearance, the Seasiders’ defence got in a tangle and Nicky Ward capped a superb display up-front by deservedly hammering the winner from the edge of the six yard box.
Ruscoe, Lloyd-Williams and Ward all went close to adding to Saints' lead in the closing minutes, but it was Walters who almost had the last word when he ran past defenders but pulled his shot wide of Doherty’s post.
Referee: K J Parry

Scott Ruscoe (73)
Nicky Ward (85)
Karl Reynolds (79)
Starting line-ups
Gerard Doherty
Chris King
Tommy Holmes
Steve Evans
Chris Taylor
John Leah
Scott Ruscoe
Nicky Ward
Michael Wilde
Jamie Wood
John Lawless
Brian Thomas
Carl J Evans
Paul Reid
Paul Evans
Leigh Shrimpton
Andrew Rickard
Liam McCreesh
Chris Pridham
Kevin Bartley
Shaun O'Leary
Karl Reynolds
Gary Finley
Steve Lalley
Simon Davies
Mike Mullin
Marc Lloyd-Williams
Sacha Walters
Craig Martin
Chris Piper
Ceri Williams
Daniel Williams
Marc Lloyd-Williams -> Michael Wilde (63)
Simon Davies -> John Lawless (83)
Gary Finley -> Chris King (90)
Chris Piper -> Kevin Bartley (70)
Sacha Walters ->Liam McCreesh (74)
Chris Taylor (41)
Liam McCreesh (41)
None None
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.2 © 2003 TPL Design
NOTE: For comparison purposes, teams are referred to throughout all seasons by their current names.
Substitute minutes of 99 indicate actual times not known.
NEWI Cefn Druids played as Flexsys Cefn Druids prior to 2003/4.
Port Talbot Town played as Port Talbot Athletic prior to 2001/2.
Total Network Solutions played as Llansantffraid FC prior to 1997/8.
Match-by-match player stats for season 1993/4 are largely unavailable.