Saints-Alive! The Total Network Solutions Football Club website
Match report and stats
Change:  Move to:
Dec 11th 2001 at 19:30 Latham Park Attendance 112
Newtown AFC
3 - 2
Total Network Solutions
Match report FAW PREMIER CUP

NEWTOWN clinched their place in the quarter-finals of the FAW Premier Cup despite suffering a defeat in their final group game at Latham Park.
With TNS needing to win by three clear goals to progress themselves, the Robins lived on their nerves before eventually sealing their place in the last eight of the BBC-sponsored competition as group runners-up behind Caersws.
The night started well enough for the home side who took a fourth minute lead when Steve Edwards headed home a right wing comer from Chris Adamson.
But the encounter, which survived the threat of fog, sprang to life with the visitors hitting back with three quick goals.
Robbie Wood pounced on a stray pass from Mark Thomas to level the scores on the night when he steered a low 16-yard shot into the net on nine minutes.
And eight minutes later, Ricky Evans found plenty of room on the right before delivering a perfect cross for Chris Taylor to head home.
Worse followed for the Robins as the Saints grabbed a third with Derek Ward the benefactor of acres of space on the right on 28 minutes before floating a deep cross to the far post with Chris Edge sending a downward header into the net.
With the hosts tightening up at the back, TNS were unable to maintain their earlier momentum in the second period as they strove for a crucial fourth goal.
John Toner had one effort scrambled away while the striker and Nicky Ward had further shots comfortably saved.
And Newtown settled their nerves on 66 minutes as top scorer Steve McCormick steered the ball in from close range after Thomas's free kick had been knocked down into his path.
TNS never looked likely to retrieve the game after that, leaving player boss Ken McKenna - who appeared as a second half substitute - to reflect on points dropped at home earlier in the competition.
Justin Wickham went dose to levelling on the night for Newtown when his late shot was blocked by keeper Gerard Doherty but by then the hosts had already tightened their grip on the £15,000 bonus for reaching the quarter-finals.
Referee: Arwel Jones (Caernarfon)

Steve Edwards (4)
Steve McCormick (72)
Robbie Wood (9)
Chris Taylor (17)
Chris Edge (29)
Starting line-ups
Mark Jones
Justin Bridges
Gareth Evans
Colin Reynolds
Marcus Lokier
Mark Thomas
Justin Wickham
Steve Edwards
Steve McCormick
Chris Adamson
Gareth Watkins
Gerard Doherty
Derek Ward
Robbie Wood
Tommy Holmes
Chris Taylor
Tim Alexander
Chris Edge
Ricky Evans
David Bridgwater
Nicky Ward
John Toner
Mark Williams
Dave Watkins
Anthony Fenton
Steve Rogers
Andy Mulliner
Dean Williams
Mark Powell
Stuart Graves
Ken McKenna
Gary Powell
Mark Williams -> Gareth Watkins (73)
Dave Watkins -> Steve McCormick (90)
Gary Powell -> Chris Edge (71)
Ken McKenna -> Chris Taylor (80)
Gareth Evans (40)
Chris Adamson
Ken McKenna (90)
None None
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.2 © 2003 TPL Design
NOTE: For comparison purposes, teams are referred to throughout all seasons by their current names.
Substitute minutes of 99 indicate actual times not known.
NEWI Cefn Druids played as Flexsys Cefn Druids prior to 2003/4.
Port Talbot Town played as Port Talbot Athletic prior to 2001/2.
Total Network Solutions played as Llansantffraid FC prior to 1997/8.
Match-by-match player stats for season 1993/4 are largely unavailable.